Today NSW Premier, Gladys Berejiklian, announced drivers who spend more than $25 a week (on average) over a 12 month period on road tolls will be eligible for free vehicle registration.
The rego rebate will be available for all standard privately registered cars, utes, 4 wheel-drives and motorcycles from July 1, 2018.
Most of the eligible motorists will save $358 a year on registration costs, with potential savings of up to $715 a year for some larger vehicles.
Western Sydney Minister, Stuart Ayres, said the scheme will be backdated, so eligible motorists will enjoy free vehicle registration if they spend more than $25 a week from July 1, 2017.
Drivers who use the M5 will continue to have access to the Cashback scheme.
Private motor vehicles weighing more than 2,795kg (such as trucks) are not included in the scheme.
How much can you save?
Examples of the registration savings for eligible drivers are listed below:
- $272 – Hyundai Eon, Citroen C1, Renault Twingo$
- $305 – Ford Fiesta, Mazda 2, VW Polo, Toyota Yaris
- $358 – Mazda 3, Hyundai i30, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, VW Golf
- $513 – Toyota Camry, Toyota Hilux, Hyundai Tucson, Holden Commodore, Mazda CX3, Ford Ranger
- $715 – Toyota Land Cruiser, Nissan Patrol
- $127 – Motorcycles
For full details visit: https://www.nsw.gov.au/toll-relief-free-rego-for-drivers/